April 17, 2009

Unseasonably warm (in the 70s) and time for a group ride. It's the Snake Trail (long loop, counterclockwise, which is the right and proper way to do it.) I call it the Snake Trail because there used to be posted signs stating that the bluffs along the trail were home to two species of rare and threatened snake. The signs mysteriously disappeared at some point; I hope the snakes didn't. I never did see one of those snakes here, but I've seen the usual Bald Eagle and Cliff Swallows, plus various other creatures along this trail (mainly rollerbladers). This part of the ride is actually on the Big Rivers Regional Trail, which connects to the Lilydale Park Trail that takes you through said park to Harriet Island across from downtown Saint Paul. Today it's a group ride, warm out and pure pleasure, little time for pictures or contemplation. I took this ride once earlier this spring, but only the short loop – I didn't ride the Lilydale portion. I can see that the water's been high (still is, but not as high as it was and that makes me wish I'd gotten down here sooner). Pickerel Lake is higher than I've ever seen it. It looks like a real lake, not just a marsh habitat. I'd love to stop and look for birds and grab some pictures but the group keeps moving. Did I mention that it is a lovely, pleasant day, unseasonably warm? It is, which is why we all agreed on the spot to do the long loop rather than looping back on the I-35E bridge. We stop for a water break at Harriet Island, where as usual things are mellow and pretty and timeless ... it's always pleasing to sit in the sun and look at the docked faux-paddlewheelers. We wrap back over the Wabasha bridge into downtown, then I take us down the hill to grab a favorite stretch of trail that fronts the river behind the clusters of new, gingerbread condos. That stretch of trail is closed (again!) though and we need to weave around one or two of the new behemoths to re-access the trail on the other side. Then it's smooth sailing again ... but I finally do stop to document an old warehouse (or part of a power plant?) that's being torn down.

Old and New

I wonder what they will do with the newly available piece of real estate once this old structure is finally erased from the scene.

Saint Paul Scene


After this we have to climb up the hill and find the trail alongside Shepard Road – not a very pleasant trail, typically, thanks to an unending stream of racing traffic.

Along Shepard Road

It's not so bad, today, though, and I enjoy some of the views down on the river bottomland from high up on the ridge. Soon enough we're across the I-35E off-ramp and down the hill to Crosby Farm Park. Unbelievable – I can see insects hovering above the pond already.

Crosby Trail

Crosby Scene

Looping back through the woods and to the river again, there is still one big puddle across the trail, but it's easy enough to glide through it with both peddles up. Back along the river trail that leads to Hidden Falls Park, the places where I had to ride through the river a couple weeks ago are now high and dry ... no wood ducks today! We keep moving. In the parking lot at Hidden Falls I hear what I swear sounds like a wild turkey over on the bluff. We stop and confirm – yes, there are turkeys over there somewhere, all right, we hear a gobble every couple of minutes but we never can spot them. Eventually we cross the Ford Parkway Bridge and eventually on home. It turned out to be a long, but thoroughly enjoyable ride ... but long! We earned ourselves a Friday treat – Galactic Pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment